Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Andrew McCarthy

If you asked any skateboarder in Arizona about Andrew McCarthy, they'd all talk about how stylish he is on the skateboard. So, to not spend too much time on the obvious, I'll try to avoid mentioning that too much here. But he's seriously got one of the best skateboarding styles I(and most people) have ever seen. Add to that the fact that he's also amazingly spontaneous on the board, which is one of my favorite and most envied qualities in a skateboarder. My favorite thing about his skating, though, are his slams (sorry Drew). Just like some of his tricks seem to come completely out of nowhere, he'll take the gnarliest slams out of the same nowhere. In life he's as calm as his skating is fun to watch. He's a simle man who loves his dog probably more than anyone has ever loved a dog (even though it growls at me). I don't know what more I can say about Drew. He's not around all that much, but when he is it's always a treat. Maybe his allusiveness is what makes him so great. Keep doing what you're doing Drew.


Name: Andrew McCarthy
I’m so indecisive I usually avoid ‘favorites’ but I will try my best just for Tim.
Top 3 favorite cities:
• Berlin because I’m here for the Summer and love it and will miss it dearly.
• San Francisco and Portland tie for roadtrip Summer memories
• Traverse City, Michigan for childhood Summer memories
Honorable Mention: Phoenix Metro area because it’s home when it’s not Summer.
Top 3 skateboarders:
• Dennis Busenitz
• Andrew Reynolds for my childhood
• Gino Iannucci
Top 3 skateboarders that you know personally:
• Michael Tubbs
• The Harper Brothers (too close to call)
• Ted Schmitz, John Rob Moore, Ryan Lay, Levi Brown, Randy Ploesser
• This could be a top 25 I think.
When was your prime?
Tc4th? I think it was the closest thing I’ve had to a full part.
5 good bands:
I’m letting my iTunes do the work for me, from the top 25 most played of the past few weeks.
• Mumford & Suns
• The Middle East
• LCD Soundsystem
• Here We Go Magic
• Jônsi
5 good songs:
• Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show
• Easy Beat – Dr. Dog
• Je Veuz Te Voir – Yelle
• I’ve Got a Feeling – Neva Dinova
• Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground – Chris Thile (just for you because you love the White Stripes)
5 tricks that you can’t do:
• Hardflip
• Impossible
• Frontside bigspin
• Feeble (you witnessed the first and only I have ever done!)
• Anything on transition taller than 6 feet. :(
Spirit animal:
Bruno

5 (three) good books:
• The People of Paper – Salvador Plascencia
• The History of Love – Nicole Krauss
• Extremely Load and Incredibly Close – Jonathan Safran
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Order a Pizza (it was my first book, pretty awesome)
• I just finished 1984 last night, pretty cool.
What’s the worst?
A lot of people, mostly.
What’s the best?
Dogs, some of the people that aren’t the worst (loved ones and family), fun, and living. I really enjoy food and beverages. I look forward to every meal of the day, coffee in the morning, and beer in the evening.
3 good non skateboarders:
• My Momma
• Bruno
• Kara

What do you like to do outside of skateboarding?
travel when possible, take pictures and observe people and animals. Laying in bed is actually one of my favorite activities as well. I like thinking about how much more I should go skateboarding also.
What is your prized possession?
I feel most nostalgic for my first car that almost killed me when the hood flipped up on the freeway. But I’m not so attached to my things. There’s a lot I couldn’t live without, but it’s not like they’re irreplaceable.
What will end the world?
Technology will end humans, the sun will probably end the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment